From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Gentoo on an AMD 64bit portable
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:51
1 On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 20:34 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've seen snipits of various issues related to running gentoo on a 64 bit
5 > amd processor. In particular, I'd like to get a 'low power'
6 > chip such as the Turion in a portable.
7
8 I have a Turion MT-32 laptop (ABS Mayhem F-15 A40 which is actually an
9 MSI-1011 and only sold by NewEgg for $900.)
10
11 > One of my concerns is whether to use
12 > 32 bit or 64 bit Gentoo on a 64 bit AMD portable. Is there
13 > a document I can read somewhere that explains the merits
14 > and problems on how to set up Gentoo on a 64 bit machine?
15 > If not can somebody explain the caveats of 64 bit (amd) gentoo?
16 > I do not wish to be on the 'bleeding edge' of 64 bit AMD issues,
17 > but, I'd like to access the power. I'm running a variety of
18 > 32 bit stable gentoo systems now, with relative ease.
19
20 I've basically had no problems running a 64-bit system other than the
21 well-known mplayer & flash-type problems, except when I go and try to
22 compile open source applications. Many make fundamental assumptions
23 about data layouts and sizes that are simply not true for 64-bit
24 systems.
25
26 BTW, I have had ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" for months now without any
27 serious problems, although I do run into the occasional (non-essential)
28 package which won't compile. They are usually fixed (or a patch
29 provided) in a reasonable amount of time.
30
31 I'd unhesitantly run a 64-bit system on an AMD64 system again.
32
33 --- Vladimir
36 Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
37 --