From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Gentoo on an AMD 64bit portable
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:42:27
1 Hello,
2
3 I've seen snipits of various issues related to running gentoo on a 64 bit
4 amd processor. In particular, I'd like to get a 'low power'
5 chip such as the Turion in a portable. One of my concerns is whether to use
6 32 bit or 64 bit Gentoo on a 64 bit AMD portable. Is there
7 a document I can read somewhere that explains the merits
8 and problems on how to set up Gentoo on a 64 bit machine?
9 If not can somebody explain the caveats of 64 bit (amd) gentoo?
10 I do not wish to be on the 'bleeding edge' of 64 bit AMD issues,
11 but, I'd like to access the power. I'm running a variety of
12 32 bit stable gentoo systems now, with relative ease.
15 Another problem I run into is that I must have a 9 pin serial port
16 (you know with a 16x50+ chip). I use my portables to talk to
17 a wide variety of industrial equipment that all use standard 9 pin
18 serial ports. I know that there are pci cards to give mult serial ports
19 and usb-serial converter devices, but I have never used any of them
20 so I need recommendations on alternative serial (rs232C) hardware.
21
22 This limits me pretty much to Clevo based portables, unless
23 somebody else can point me to a 64 bit AMD portable with
24 9 pin serials ports, or a hardware alternative that is robust.
27 Any information/recommendations on 64 bit amd portables in most
28 welcome.
29
30 James
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list