From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Gentoo on an AMD 64bit portable
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:02:33
1 On 6/16/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've seen snipits of various issues related to running gentoo on a 64 bit
5 > amd processor. In particular, I'd like to get a 'low power'
6 > chip such as the Turion in a portable. One of my concerns is whether to use
7 > 32 bit or 64 bit Gentoo on a 64 bit AMD portable. Is there
8 > a document I can read somewhere that explains the merits
9 > and problems on how to set up Gentoo on a 64 bit machine?
10 > If not can somebody explain the caveats of 64 bit (amd) gentoo?
11 > I do not wish to be on the 'bleeding edge' of 64 bit AMD issues,
12 > but, I'd like to access the power. I'm running a variety of
13 > 32 bit stable gentoo systems now, with relative ease.
16 > Another problem I run into is that I must have a 9 pin serial port
17 > (you know with a 16x50+ chip). I use my portables to talk to
18 > a wide variety of industrial equipment that all use standard 9 pin
19 > serial ports. I know that there are pci cards to give mult serial ports
20 > and usb-serial converter devices, but I have never used any of them
21 > so I need recommendations on alternative serial (rs232C) hardware.
22 >
23 > This limits me pretty much to Clevo based portables, unless
24 > somebody else can point me to a 64 bit AMD portable with
25 > 9 pin serials ports, or a hardware alternative that is robust.
28 > Any information/recommendations on 64 bit amd portables in most
29 > welcome.
32 I've been *extremely* happy with my xtremenotebooks.com system - it's
33 based on a Clevo (as is the Alienware equivalent), and it was about a
34 $1000 cheaper than the Alienware equivalent. I went with the desktop
35 replacement strategy - AMD 64X2 4400+, GeForce 7800 Go GTX, etc - but
36 xtremenotebooks.com also has Turion64-based systems for the more
37 mobility minded - i.e. those that don't want to lug around a 14 lb
38 "portable". ;)
39
40 I've been running full 64-bit on the system, and it's been *really*
41 straightforward - I haven't found a *single* show-stopper (now that
42 the RaLink rt2500 wireless driver is SMP-compatible, that is) - the
43 only real minor annoyances I've had are that Flash won't work in the
44 64-bit (i.e. self-compiled) Firefox - darn, I sure miss all those
45 "Punch the Monkey and win an iPod!" ads (however, I'm told this can be
46 gotten around via either some clever 32-bit Flash plugin + 64-bit
47 Konqueror sleight of hand, or by using the 32-bit firefox-bin instead
48 of the self-compiled), and the fact that, oddly enough, win32codecs
49 don't want to work in a 64-bit system either (which can be gotten
50 around via the mplayer-bin package - another pre-compiled 32-bit
51 version).
52
53 And, of course, the most important thing - I can't stop just wallowing
54 gleefully in my friends and relatives envious looks when I walk up
55 with a laptop that is more powerful than their most powerful gaming
56 and server systems... :) (With only *slightly* less battery life than
57 a good desktop with no UPS... <grin> (Actually, I can get about 2
58 hours if I'm careful)).
59
60 The ACPI functionality all seems to work quite well, saving
61 suspend/hibernate, which I haven't really pursued due to my usage of
62 the proprietary NVidia drivers + the fact that the rt2500 driver
63 doesn't seem to play well with power management, but I would bet that
64 if you unloaded both those modules and did a suspend or a hibernate,
65 it would go well for you.
66
67 So, overall, as far as Gentoo + AMD64 goes, my experience has pretty
68 much been no different than Gentoo + x86 - a good one!
69
70 HTH-
71
72 James