From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE menu missing: solved
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:25:43
1 2009/6/9 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2 > 2009/6/9 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3 >> 2009/6/9 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
4 >>
5 >>> After the usual night's sleep to clear the cerebral tmp files
6 >>> I thought of starting the new day in KDE to try fixing things there.
7 >>> I swapped to my KDE version of  ~/.xinitrc  & then did 'startx'
8 >>> & yes the desktop menus & the panel menu had vanished.
9 >>> Then I started Krusader, got the 'open with' box for a text file
10 >>> & told it to open the file with Leafpad: it did some updating & obeyed.
11 >>> After that, the other default 'open with' apps worked as before
12 >>> & the KDE menus had been restored.  To get Apwal back with L-mouse
13 >>> I had to use the KDE Control Centre 'desktop behaviour' & re-apply it.
14 >>>
15 >>> So everything is back to normal & Krusader behaves properly on Fluxbox too.
16 >>
17 >> Thanks Phillip.
18 >>
19 >> Did you get any apps in the 'Open With' menu list?  Mine is empty.  To
20 >> get any application to open a file I have to type it manually (or
21 >> choose one from the cached drop down entries in the Open With panel).
22 >> I ran kate %U, but nothing much happened.  :(
23 >>
24 >> Will try to repeat all this in a KDE session just in case.
25 >>
26 >> Meanwhile, what does your /home/<user>/.config/menus/applications.menu
27 >> look like.  Mine is empty and comes up with the error shown below:
28 >>
29 >> $ kbuildsycoca --menutest
30 >> Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
31 >> kbuildsycoca running...
32 >> kbuildsycoca running...
33 >> Reusing existing ksycoca
34 >> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: Parse error in
35 >> /home/michael/.config/menus/applications.menu, line 1, col 1:
36 >> unexpected end of file
37 >
38 > Fixed it!
39 >
40 > I had to delete /home/michael/.config/menus/applications.menu, then
41 > change my setup to login using kdm/KDE instead xdm/fluxbox and this
42 > time kbuildsycoca  worked.  Phew!  All my menus are back, Kleopatra
43 > works fine, and kcontrol has a list on the LH side.  Getting back to
44 > fluxbox works as normal again.
45 >
46 > Thanks for the pointer!  :)
47 >
48 > It seems that the elog message was implying that one must be using KDE
49 > as a DE rather than individual applications.
50
51 Blast! I spoke too soon.
52
53 This morning same story ... Menus are not present and running
54
55 $ kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing kbuildsycoca running...
56 kfmclient: ERROR: Couldn't start konqueror from konqueror.desktop:
57 Could not find service 'konqueror.desktop'.
58
59 brings up the same error. :(
60
61 There must be a more intelligent fix to this than me booting into KDE
62 every time I want to use a KDE application ?
63
64 What's up with your KDE menu Phillip? Were you able to make the changes stick?
65 --
66 Regards,
67 Mick