From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 15:08:38
1 On Saturday 29 Apr 2017 14:39:13 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > Now able to boot into my new hardware, one of the first things I did was
5 >
6 > # emerge --sync
7 >
8 > . Fine. The next thing I tried was
9 >
10 > # emerge -auND @world
11 >
12 > , which is probably recommended in the handbook. This was anything but
13 > fine.
14 >
15 > I'm glad I'm not a real Gentoo newby, because I would have been
16 > completely flumoxed by what came up on my screen.
17 >
18 > For a start, I could barely read parts of it, which were displayed in
19 > dark blue text on a black background. Setting up /etc/portage/color.map
20 > is not the first thing a new user should have to do to be able to read
21 > messages from emerge. This is, however, something I knew had to be
22 > done, and I did it.
23 >
24 > The error message was "Multiple package instances within a single
25 > package slot have been pulled into the dependency graph, resulting in a
26 > slot conflict:". Uhh???
27 >
28 > Is this gobbledegook really what a new user should be seeing, having not
29 > yet installed any packages, bar a very few, beyond what is requisite to
30 > bringing a new machine up?
31 >
32 > The actual conflict packages are:
33 > dev-lang/perl-5.24.1-r1:0/5.24::gentoo
34 > and
35 > dev-lang/perl-5.22.3-rc4:0/5.22::gentoo
36 > , "pulled in" by internal system packages I've got no direct interest
37 > in, plus, shockingly, "and 2 more with the same problem" and "and 5 more
38 > with the same problem".
39 >
40 > I'm glad I've got the experience with Gentoo to know it's worth
41 > ploughing on through these messes.
42 >
43 > Other than that, it seems like a pretty ghastly mistake by Gentoo's
44 > quality control. I know none of you get paid for it, and you all do it
45 > for love. I admit I probably wouldn't have done the job much better
46 > myself. But for Gentoo's sake, something needs to get better.
47
48 Try running:
49
50 perl-cleaner --reallyall
51
52 Then try 'emerge -uaNDv world' again.
53 --
54 Regards,
55 Mick