From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing PAM from my system, is it adviseable?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:23:21
1 On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:58 AM, James Homuth <james@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > -----Original Message-----
5 > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
6 > Sent: January 22, 2009 7:16 PM
7 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing PAM from my system, is it adviseable?
9 >
10 > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:11:12 -0500, James Homuth wrote:
11 >
12 >> Will my system blow up at me if I remove PAM? And, if no, I assume I
13 >> can just do so by specifying -pam in make.conf, and then rebuilding
14 >> things as necessary?
15 >
16 > That's pretty much what I did. Nothing's blown up... yet.
17 >
18 > I heard there were some programs that won't be emerged or won't work
19 > properly if PAM is removed. An example given in the posted wiki article is
20 > Open Office. Is that still accurate?
21
22 OOo has worked perfectly on all of my 2007 and 2008 PAM-less builds.
23 I've always started with a stage3, added -pam to USE, adjusted cflags
24 and such to my liking, and then followed with a full emerge -e system.
25 I added it back on one system more recently because of something or
26 other I was screwing with... x11-misc/slim I think it was. Looking at
27 a quick "eix openoffice" ... it does have a pam use flag to get past
28 any troubles.
31 Poison [BLX]
32 Joshua M. Murphy