From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Whole lotta minimal
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:19:59
1 On Wednesday 20 September 2006 21:16, Jarry wrote:
2 > Jan-Hendrik Zab wrote:
3 > >> Can someone explain the great minimal breakout happening in portage
4 >
5 > ...
6 >
7 > > so. The actual problem is that the flag has no 'real' global meaning,
8 > > which means that it might turn off some 'unnecessary' features in one
9 > > application and turn off one of the most useful in another.
10 >
11 > Sometimes it is not correctly implemented (or its description
12 > is not exact). For example, if you emerge mysql with minimal-flag,
13 > you will get just mysql-client, not server.
14 >
15 > But mysql is described as "A fast, multi-threaded, multi-user SQL
16 > database server" in gentoo package database. And server functionality
17 > can not be imho considered as "some unnecessary feature" for any
18 > server-software (without that it is not server anymore, is it?)...
19 >
20 > I do have "minimal" in my global USE flags, but it happened
21 > to me a few times that I had problems because of it and I had
22 > to put "-minimal" for some packages (in packages.use)...
23
24 minimal is not ment to be used as a global flag.
25 It should only be used in specific cases.
26
27 minimal minimizes size or functionality and often both.
28 Don't use it unless you *know* what it does and this is the desired behaviour.
29
30 leaving minimal off will never hurt your system, turning it on globally will.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list