From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 13:24:49
1 > > systemrescuecd?
2
3 > "Too complicated". What I mean by this is that the user upon booting
4 > has options!!! Do you kick into a graphical environment, do you copy
5 > everything to memory, do you..... you get the idea. The problem is
6 > that these are first year students in a common first year, they have
7 > not yet decided upon their stream, could be Civil, Chem, Mech etc and
8 > don't see any benefit in doing programming but have to pass the
9 > subject.
10
11 > My "requirement" is that it boots into a GUI, preferably straight
12 > into the environment, no username/password, has dhcp, a decent editor,
13 > a browser and gcc or clang.
14
15 > Andrew
16
17 System Rescue CD fulfils the above requirements. You can go straight to XFCE, be root with no user/password, by default automatically configures network with DHCP. Editor is vim (I believe), browser is Midori, and gcc is present; I didn't think of looking for clang.
18
19 Tom