From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird "Buffer I/O error" in dev ndb0
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:33:19
1 Phill MV wrote:
2
3 > Well, *something* is trying to access a function that doesnt exist in
4 > NDB; whether we know what it does or why, I'm guessing it's a
5 > behaviour that shouldn't happen :P.
6 >
7 > I suppose whatever tries to access NDB has a bug in it... but what
8 > would that be?
11 Do you have lvm installed (/sbin/lvm)?
12
13 If so, the Gentoo startup script /sbin/rc will try to execute it after
14 starting udev to probe for physical volumes, volume groups, and logical
15 volumes.
16 The default configuration of lvm probes _all_ block devices, so this is
17 a probable suspect. You can try adding a filter to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf in
18 this case, like so:
19
20 filter = [ "r|/dev/nbd.*|" ]
21
22 As for whether it should or shouldn't happen, I am not sure. I don't
23 know how common it is to use network block devices...it is definitely a
24 high-end feature. I would guess that anyone using nbd would also be
25 interested in using lvm, so it is probably more useful to have lvm probe
26 these devices if they exist.
27
28 -Richard
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list