From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 16:01:02
1 On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 05:00:17PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2013-04-07, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On 2013-04-07 6:55 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:14:00 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>>> Well, in my case 80-net-names-slot.rules was neither empty,
7 > >>>> nor symlink to dev null, but FULL OF COMMENTS AND NOTING ELSE,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Well... even I know enough to reason that 'empty' in this context means
10 > >>> no UNcommented lines. Comments are just that, and if there are no
11 > >>> UNcommented lines, then nothing is active, hence it is effectively
12 > >>> 'empty'.
13 > >>
14 > >> But not actually empty. If you are correct, and I suspect you are, then
15 > >> the news item is poorly worded. No effective content is not the same as
16 > >> no content at all.
17 > >
18 > > Oh, I agree that it was poorly worded, I was just pointing out that it
19 > > was kind of silly to take quite it so literally...
20 >
21 > OK, so parts of the news item are not to be taken literally, and other
22 > parts are. Perhaps it would be wise to mark the sections so we can
23 > tell the difference? ;)
24 >
25 > > Every sysadmin knows (or should know) that a config file full of
26 > > nothing but comments isn't going to do *anything* other than provide
27 > > whatever defaults the program is designed to use in such a case.
28 >
29 > It's entirely possible for udev (or any other program) to check
30 > whether a file is empty or not and behave differently depending on
31 > that test. And if it is explicitly stated that something depends on a
32 > file being "empty", that's what I assume was indended. Of course it's
33 > possible to determine via experimentation that "nothing but comments"
34 > produces the same behavior as "empty". Of course we all figured that
35 > out after we realized that udev wasn't behaving as was described in
36 > the news entry and started reading other documentation.
37
38 I'll give you all one more to chew on ... this LAN has 5 comps running udev,
39 upgraded from 171 > 197 > 200, and NONE of them EVER has this mysterious
40 /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules file. If it was there sometime during
41 these upgrades, and was removed, it was automatically removed and not manually
42 by me using rm to do so.
43 --
44 Happy Penguin Computers >')
45 126 Fenco Drive ( \
46 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
48 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
49 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
50
51 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
52 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
53 A: Top-posting.
54 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
55
56 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting