From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:01:01
1 On 2013-04-07, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-04-07 6:55 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:14:00 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> Well, in my case 80-net-names-slot.rules was neither empty,
6 >>>> nor symlink to dev null, but FULL OF COMMENTS AND NOTING ELSE,
7 >>>
8 >>> Well... even I know enough to reason that 'empty' in this context means
9 >>> no UNcommented lines. Comments are just that, and if there are no
10 >>> UNcommented lines, then nothing is active, hence it is effectively
11 >>> 'empty'.
12 >>
13 >> But not actually empty. If you are correct, and I suspect you are, then
14 >> the news item is poorly worded. No effective content is not the same as
15 >> no content at all.
16 >
17 > Oh, I agree that it was poorly worded, I was just pointing out that it
18 > was kind of silly to take quite it so literally...
19
20 OK, so parts of the news item are not to be taken literally, and other
21 parts are. Perhaps it would be wise to mark the sections so we can
22 tell the difference? ;)
23
24 > Every sysadmin knows (or should know) that a config file full of
25 > nothing but comments isn't going to do *anything* other than provide
26 > whatever defaults the program is designed to use in such a case.
27
28 It's entirely possible for udev (or any other program) to check
29 whether a file is empty or not and behave differently depending on
30 that test. And if it is explicitly stated that something depends on a
31 file being "empty", that's what I assume was indended. Of course it's
32 possible to determine via experimentation that "nothing but comments"
33 produces the same behavior as "empty". Of course we all figured that
34 out after we realized that udev wasn't behaving as was described in
35 the news entry and started reading other documentation.
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! PEGGY FLEMMING is
39 at stealing BASKET BALLS to
40 gmail.com feed the babies in VERMONT.