From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My winmodem works on linux-on-laptops.com
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:13:04
1 > I'm not sure here (but someone will point if I'm mistaken), but ppp
2 > init script is intend to bring up adsl based connections, while you
3 > need a dialler to connect dial-up, back in the days I had dial-up I
4 > used minicom, and later kppp to handle this... In fact, you need to
5 > set your device (usually /dev/modem) and use a program to dial using
6 > that modem, this will create the ppp0 interface for you, and also
7 > (most of them) will set is as the default route. Any server with
8 > dial-up has configurations, and that's what your ISP have in their
9 > script, you just find them out and put the same config at your dialer.
10
11 Thanks Daniel, I'm really strung out here. I do have the net.ppp0
12 interface now. Maybe I just need to emerge and utilize minicom? How
13 can I do that when all I have is a Gentoo system that can't get online
14 and an XP system that can dial up?
15
16 - Grant
17