From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reiserfs meltdown
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:58:39
1 On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 12:32 +0200, Ralph Slooten wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hiya list,
6 >
7 > Just need some opinions here, and am not looking for a raving flame-war
8 > regarding which file system is better etc ;-) ~ Oh and please excuse the
9 > long mail, but I need explain my situation clearly to avoid confusion.
10
11 [snip]
12
13 > What gives? I don't want to use ext2 or ext3, and I have for a couple of
14 > years now relied on reiserfs on all my systems, but what could be the
15 > problem here? Why did reiserfs seem to mess up like this, and why after
16 > formatting it did I get the same errors again?
17
18 It looks like you have a problem with some reiser-related binary that is
19 not on the / partition. There is obviously nothing wrong with hda3 as
20 ext3 works on it. Which partition hosts the /lib and /sbin directories?
21
22 Unfortunately you seem to have been a victim of the off button being hit
23 at exactly the right moment to cause maximum difficulty :-(
24
25 If all else fails you could take the long route:
26 emerge -e system
27 emerge -s world
28 A drastic measure, but it would rebuild everything and almost certainly
29 fix the problem.
30
31 alan
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list