From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 11:05:51
1 Am 05.04.2015 um 17:29 schrieb lee:
2 > So there isn't really a choice and rp-pppoe is some kind of additional
3 > thing?
4
5 As far as I remember yes.
6
7 > What are its advantages?
8
9 Like I said before, easier to configure and to handle.
10
11 > Networkmanager sucks, it overwrites /etc/resolv.conf and does all kinds
12 > of weird things.
13
14 If you need or want to use fixed DNS servers you can set them in the
15 IPv4 and/or IPv6 settings of each connection, and Networkmanager puts
16 those into /etc/resolv.conf.
17
18 I haven't seen Networkmanager doing weird things yet, and I'm using it
19 quite a while for several connection types like simple ethernet, WLAN
20 and mobile broadband.
21
22 > Maybe it's useful when you need to switch between
23 > connections all the time; that's not what I'm doing. I'm not using kde
24 > or gnome, either.
25
26 It's also useful if you want to automatically reconnect when the
27 connection got lost as soon as a reconnect is possible again. Neither
28 ppp nor rp-pppoe can do that.
29
30 nm-applett also works with Xfce or LXDE if you're using those.
31 Networkmanager itself contains several tools for the text console like
32 nmcli and nmtui.
33
34 And if you need to run a script every time the internet connection is
35 established or closed just put it into /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.
36 Parameter $1 gives the network device and $2 is either up or down.