From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 22:58:57
1 On Thursday 09 Apr 2015 12:05:38 Heiko Baums wrote:
2 > Am 05.04.2015 um 17:29 schrieb lee:
3 > > So there isn't really a choice and rp-pppoe is some kind of additional
4 > > thing?
5 >
6 > As far as I remember yes.
7 >
8 > > What are its advantages?
9 >
10 > Like I said before, easier to configure and to handle.
11 >
12 > > Networkmanager sucks, it overwrites /etc/resolv.conf and does all kinds
13 > > of weird things.
14 >
15 > If you need or want to use fixed DNS servers you can set them in the
16 > IPv4 and/or IPv6 settings of each connection, and Networkmanager puts
17 > those into /etc/resolv.conf.
18 >
19 > I haven't seen Networkmanager doing weird things yet, and I'm using it
20 > quite a while for several connection types like simple ethernet, WLAN
21 > and mobile broadband.
22 >
23 > > Maybe it's useful when you need to switch between
24 > >
25 > > connections all the time; that's not what I'm doing. I'm not using kde
26 > > or gnome, either.
27 >
28 > It's also useful if you want to automatically reconnect when the
29 > connection got lost as soon as a reconnect is possible again. Neither
30 > ppp nor rp-pppoe can do that.
31
32 Are you sure?
33
34 Have you tried 'passive' and 'maxfail 0' settings?
35
36 If these don't work, then a separate script (e.g. pinging google or some such
37 server as a test) can be used to decide to restart ppp.
40 > nm-applett also works with Xfce or LXDE if you're using those.
41 > Networkmanager itself contains several tools for the text console like
42 > nmcli and nmtui.
43 >
44 > And if you need to run a script every time the internet connection is
45 > established or closed just put it into /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.
46 > Parameter $1 gives the network device and $2 is either up or down.
49 Regards,
50 Mick