From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:10:20
1 On 1/22/07, Regis Decamps <decamps@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > qfpvajdy wrote:
3 > > Hello,
7 > > I would like to convince my boss and my collegues to use Gentoo GNU/Linux at the company office for the desktop system (and maybe one day also for servers).
8 > >
9 > > Currently everybody uses its own Linux/Unix system, but soon we could be forced to uses for everybody only one system.
10 > >
11 > > I must probably convince the people to use Gentoo Linux against RedHat Scientific Linux and FreeBSD.
15 > > Does somebody has some good key arguments?
19 > No: I use Gentoo at home but could not imagine a place at my company.
20 >
21 > Gentoo requires a real internet connection when we are behind a
22 > restricted proxy
23
24 We are behind a restricted proxy in a secure environment at a govern
25 building, and yet I have a couple of servers and desktops running
26 Gentoo flawlessly for about an year.
29 > Gentoo requires a lot of administration. For instance: etc-update
30 > (dispatch-conf) needs to be run after a package upgrade
31
32 Only if you upgrade frequently, for ordinary use, you'll install and
33 upgrade specific packages, most do not require any intervention, while
34 when you decide to do a major upgrade you won't need a release CD with
35 lots of stuff you don't need, while burning your configs in the
36 upgrade process, besides you won't need to know the twelve packages
37 that will need upgrade to let you use the new/upgraded application.
40 > Gentoo takes time with compilation and requires fine tuning for things
41 > to work when we just a standard works-for-everybody application.
42
43 Time with compilation in a distributed environment with binary
44 packages is almost zero, if you want to, the fact is that Gentoo
45 serves ANY application, you just have to configure it ONCE and it's
46 ready for almost any environment. A bit of inicial tunning saves time
47 in a dozen later installs/upgrades.
50 > Gentoo is not appropriate for my company. Mandriva or Suse would be
51 > better choices.
54 For the above reasons, you should reconsider...
58 > > The mines are:
59 > >
60 > > - newests packages with newests security updates, encryption support and full integreated KDE desktop to be used in office without problems
63 > like any "desktop oriented" distribution. Red Hat, Suse and Mandriva,
64 > Ubuntu offer the same.
65
66 In fact, they don't, they offer releases, else you will have to use
67 their package management system to upgrade, and portage is the only
68 one who has never crashed on me beyond repair.
71 > > - high performance desktop
72 >
73 > Why do you compare only these three OS? Why is freebsd in this list?
74 >
75 > higher than the other Desktop distros?
76
77 I totally agree with that...
80 > In my opinion, Gentoo is not appropriate for most companies. Now it
81 > depends... What are your criteria?
82 >
83 > - support? Gentoo has a great community, but so do ubuntu or Mandriva.
84 > But Mandriva, Suse and red Hat offer paid support, ie someone to blame
85 > whan things don't work
86
87 You can buy support for Gentoo from any company that offers it, the
88 same as you can with almost any other distro...
89
90 > - configuration? Do you need fine configuration (gentoo wins)?
91
92 Easy configuration is better than fine, etc protection, rc-update,
93 portage itself, they're all systems that you can use to
94 distribute/automate configuration...
95
96 > - easyness or "put hands in the dirt"?
97
98 Gentoo is easy, you just have to get used to it, just like every other
99 distro out there...
100
101 > - cost of maintenance (I really doubt Gentoo wins)
102
103 It depends on the staff you have and/or the support you bought. Gentoo
104 has proven to be cheap and reliable.
107 Daniel da Veiga
108 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
114 --
115 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list