From: Regis Decamps <decamps@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:41:21
1 qfpvajdy wrote:
2 > Hello,
6 > I would like to convince my boss and my collegues to use Gentoo GNU/Linux at the company office for the desktop system (and maybe one day also for servers).
7 >
8 > Currently everybody uses its own Linux/Unix system, but soon we could be forced to uses for everybody only one system.
9 >
10 > I must probably convince the people to use Gentoo Linux against RedHat Scientific Linux and FreeBSD.
14 > Does somebody has some good key arguments?
18 No: I use Gentoo at home but could not imagine a place at my company.
19
20 Gentoo requires a real internet connection when we are behind a
21 restricted proxy
22
23 Gentoo requires a lot of administration. For instance: etc-update
24 (dispatch-conf) needs to be run after a package upgrade
25
26 Gentoo takes time with compilation and requires fine tuning for things
27 to work when we just a standard works-for-everybody application.
28
29 Gentoo is not appropriate for my company. Mandriva or Suse would be
30 better choices.
34 > The mines are:
35 >
36 > - newests packages with newests security updates, encryption support and full integreated KDE desktop to be used in office without problems
39 like any "desktop oriented" distribution. Red Hat, Suse and Mandriva,
40 Ubuntu offer the same.
41
42 > - high performance desktop
43
44 Why do you compare only these three OS? Why is freebsd in this list?
45
46 higher than the other Desktop distros?
47
48 In my opinion, Gentoo is not appropriate for most companies. Now it
49 depends... What are your criteria?
50
51 - support? Gentoo has a great community, but so do ubuntu or Mandriva.
52 But Mandriva, Suse and red Hat offer paid support, ie someone to blame
53 whan things don't work
54 - configuration? Do you need fine configuration (gentoo wins)?
55 - easyness or "put hands in the dirt"?
56 - cost of maintenance (I really doubt Gentoo wins)
59 Régis
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list