From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HyperThreading won't activate
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:00:52
1 On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 23:55 -0400, Statux wrote:
2 > Hello all.
3
4 > I've got a 3.0GHz P4 with HyperThreading (Intel 531 processor for those
5 > of you who know of the Intel Processor Numbers) - kernel 2.6.13.
6
7 I have a 3.0GHz P4 HT in my laptop, with HT working fine(ish) on 2.6.13
8
9 I did some random grepping over my config file, and found these results:
10
11 # CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
12 CONFIG_SMP=y
13 CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
14 CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
15 CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
16 CONFIG_NR_CPUS=2
17
18 > This is what /proc/cpuinfo shows:
19
20 mine definately shows processor 0 and processor 1. Also have a look
21 at /proc/acpi/processor/. I have CPU0 and CPU1.
22
23 > I've been reading about CPU Enumeration something-or-other but I've
24 > gathered that that option has been removed from the menus since the
25 > earlier 2.6 kernels. I'm not sure what bearing it would have on my
26 > current situation. I did recall that I had ACPI turned off in BIOS which
27 > logically should be on for the kernel to get any hardware backing but
28 > enabling it caused my keyboard to work up until a few seconds after the
29 > login prompt comes up. After that, it locks up (LEDs don't toggle).
30
31 Is it a USB keyboard? did you enable usb legacy support in the bios?
32
33 > Everything else appears to work but I have to hard reboot the system.
34 > I've since turned ACPI support off in BIOS.
35
36 don't know if you need this on.
37
38 while we're on bios settings, see if you can turn HT on and off in the
39 bios. I have an option for it.
40
41 I don't know if any of this will help you, cause I don't know what your
42 problem is! Hope something helps though. Feel free to ask for more
43 info about my system.
44 --
45 Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list