From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] HyperThreading won't activate
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:59:25
1 Hello all.
2
3 I've done a fair amount of research in order to try and solve the issue
4 of my HyperThreading not getting enabled. I, however, have not gotten
5 anywhere with it.
6
7 I've got a 3.0GHz P4 with HyperThreading (Intel 531 processor for those
8 of you who know of the Intel Processor Numbers) - kernel 2.6.13. I've
9 enabled SMP and the HT scheduling option in the kernel config along with
10 ACPI as I was told that it's a requirement in order to get HT to work.
11 Yes, HT is enabled in BIOS. After compiling, installing, rebooting, etc,
12 I don't see any changes. This is what /proc/cpuinfo shows:
13
14 processor : 0
15 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
16 cpu family : 15
17 model : 4
18 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
19 stepping : 1
20 cpu MHz : 2993.004
21 cache size : 1024 KB
22 physical id : 0
23 siblings : 2
24 core id : 0
25 cpu cores : 1
26 fdiv_bug : no
27 hlt_bug : no
28 f00f_bug : no
29 coma_bug : no
30 fpu : yes
31 fpu_exception : yes
32 cpuid level : 3
33 wp : yes
34 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
35 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
36 pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
37 bogomips : 5993.61
38
39 I've been reading about CPU Enumeration something-or-other but I've
40 gathered that that option has been removed from the menus since the
41 earlier 2.6 kernels. I'm not sure what bearing it would have on my
42 current situation. I did recall that I had ACPI turned off in BIOS which
43 logically should be on for the kernel to get any hardware backing but
44 enabling it caused my keyboard to work up until a few seconds after the
45 login prompt comes up. After that, it locks up (LEDs don't toggle).
46 Everything else appears to work but I have to hard reboot the system.
47 I've since turned ACPI support off in BIOS. A related power management
48 issue that I should mention is that I used to use APM on my old mobo and
49 with no other sub options enabled, it would cause my system to auto
50 power off at the end of runlevel 0. Neither APM nor ACPI does this for
51 me now (I assume because APM isn't used and ACPI is off and a lil
52 misconfigged on my end, it would seem).
53
54 Something tells me that all of this is related somehow.
55
56 Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated :) I seem to be having a
57 rather unique experience as I've read several accounts of HT issues but
58 all ended up resolved much easier than this has been going.
59
60 Other information I know that I'll be asked for:
61
62 Intel 865PE Northbridge
63 Intel ICH5 Southbridge
64 Latest BIOS