From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 02:54:16
1 On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:47:35AM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote
2 > Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > At what point does grub "present a zfs interface for the kernel to use"?
4 >
5 > After it booted the kernel
6 >
7 > You may not know dynamic kernels as Linux is a static kernel that
8 > just may load additional modules _after_ it mounted the root fs.
9 >
10 > Solaris is dynamic from the beginning:
11 >
12 > - no static loading at all
13 >
14 > - no predefined data sizes - everything is allocated
15 >
16 > - no predefined major device numbers - numbers are assigned at first load
17 >
18 > Grub works this way:
19 >
20 > 1) It loads /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix
21
22 Question... how does it read that file off a ZFS partition? OK, so
23 ZFS code has to be installed statically into GRUB instead of statically
24 into the kernel. Please stop the shell game.
25
26 Note also that this is a Gentoo *LINUX* mailing list. We're more
27 concerned about how Linux works.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications