From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 09:37:07
1 Am Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 09:53:20PM -0500 schrieb Philip Webb:
2
3 > Thanks for all the replies so far : they have been carefully saved.
4 > Clearly, I need to look up component specs on the I/net
5 > & try to get upto-date with 2020s tech after 6,5 yr absence.
6 >
7 > I don't do gaming : SGT puzzles are enough for me.
8
9 Then—from a graphics viewpoint—the 5700G will do just fine and then some.
10 Unfortunately, AMD does not currently cater well to the lower- or medium-tier
11 market, because at Intel you would still get a decent CPU for half the price
12 (at least here in Europe) *including* acceptable graphics.
13
14 There is the 5600G, which is the same as the 5700G, only with a little bit
15 slower clock and six cores instead of eight (including 2 threads per core,
16 of course), in case you want to save some more. I don’t suppose you have
17 high computational demands either, save for compiling packages?
18
19 > I use the HDD strictly for back-up + storage of infrequently used data
20 > + a Mint partition which allows me to use my scanner (another story).
21
22 Then there is no acute need for a “hot-head” fast disk.
23
24 > I don't want to have to rely entirely on an SSD which might fail suddenly :
25
26 I never lost that fear entirely myself. However, I’ve been using SSDs since
27 I built the PC that I was talking about. By now I own four -- I started out
28 in 2014 with a small and cheap Sandisk as system SSD for the PC. Another
29 even cheaper (thus slower) Sandisk works as system SSD in my Gentoo-based
30 NAS. In 2016 I bought a Crucial BX100 500 GB for the then-new laptop as main
31 drive. After a few years it became too small and was upgraded to a Crucial
32 MX100 2 TB. The 500 GB then went into the PC to replace the puny Sandisk,
33 and will probably soon go into a Mini-PC-as-a-server, once I get that 2 TB
34 M.2.
35
36 I haven’t had any total failures yet. (Sooner or later, everything fails, of
37 course.) I recently looked at the SMART values and in those 6 years (half
38 Gentoo, half Arch linux), the 500 GB SSD saw 6 TB of write volume. The
39 guaranteed volume is 72 TB. Tests by the press proved that drives usually
40 survive a multiple of that. Oh, I did buy an M.2 2242 for an external
41 enclosure once, and that one was—not dead—but quite sick on arrival. It
42 puked SMART errors soon after I purchased it and then I never got around to
43 send it back. I guess I bought too cheap for my own good.
44
45 But regarding those failures: I do regular (once a week, which I sometimes
46 forget) backups of my whole PC and laptop to an external HDD with Borg
47 backup. Then I rsync that backup to another USB disk. And I also sync much
48 of my data between the two multiple times a day with Unison. So I should be
49 fine if one of the SSDs fails suddenly. *fingers crossed*
52 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
53 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
54
55 Why did the orange go blind? Because it was low on Vitamin C.