From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] whats up with eselect-opengl?
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:34:46
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Hi. In my latest world update, eselect-opengl had a new version with
5 > > very bad consequences -- it uninstalled the X server, and all drivers
6 > > were gone. I am using the nvidia drivers and they seemed to be
7 > > installed, but they did not work even after reinstalling the server, but
8 > > after downgrading eselect-opengl back to 1.27, mesa and glproto (may
9 > > have slightly wrong name), things are back to normal, but what the heck
10 > > is happening? I saw nothing in bgo, but we had a thread on here a while
11 > > ago, but even that thread didn't say the the server would be
12 > > uninstalled.
13 > >
14 > > Any ideas? Are they going to fix? I have masked things off for now.
17 > I'm not sure if it will help or not but here is some info from mine:
18 >
19 > root@fireball / # equery list eselect xorg-server nvidia-drivers
20 > * Searching for eselect ...
21 > [IP-] [ ] app-admin/eselect-1.4.3:0
22 >
23 > * Searching for xorg-server ...
24 > [IP-] [ ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.16.3-r1:0/1.16.1
25 >
26 > * Searching for nvidia-drivers ...
27 > [IP-] [ ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.76:0
28 > root@fireball / # eselect opengl list
29 > Available OpenGL implementations:
30 > [1] nvidia *
31 > [2] xorg-x11
32 > root@fireball / #
33 >
34 > I use KDE, fluxbox as a backup, and no issues, yet. I just may need
35 > more time to find it tho. lol
36 >
37 > Oh, I recall that when I rebuild mesa, I have to set opengl to use the
38 > xorg version instead of nvidia. After the update is done, I can switch
39 > it back. May not be related but if it is the only straw you have, grab
40 > it and see.
41
42 It was bringing in x-server-17 something along with
43 eselect-opengl-3. something and this is where the problems occurred, so
44 I downgraded xserver to 16.4 something downgraded mesa and that glproto
45 business and all is well, but what a major disaster. This is the ~
46 version that I am running, by the way.
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici