From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are runlevels 3 4 5 the same?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:32:19
1 On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:09:42 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > I want to choose console or X from grub, so i'm thinking i'll do
4 > > something like 'rc-update delete xdm 4' and then pass softlevel=4 to
5 > > my grub boot line, to make runlevel 4 a console runlevel. Is that the
6 > > right way to do it?
7 >
8 > You could create a new default runlevel for this purpose, or you could
9 > try passing the 'nox' option to the kernel, at boot time. There was a
10 > bug filed some time ago because an xinit update broke this option, but
11 > I believe it has been fixed now. Try it and see if this is what you
12 > need.
13
14 The correct option is gentoo=nox. nox on its own sometimes works, but
15 it's not the proper way to do it.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 SITCOM: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage