From: Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_NICENESS for real
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 02:09:43
1 On Wednesday 05 April 2006 12:56, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > meetoo! I've noticed it helps with cpu allocation, but not with the
3 > disk. If you're emerging something like sources, or openoffice, portage
4 > still gets too much disk "time" and other processes suffer. nice
5 > doesn't seem to affect disk access.
6
7 This is surely very dependant on you specific hardware and kernel
8 configuration. There are some systems that just dont 'multitask' very
9 effectively. Also, sounds like you have either an older HDD or your
10 motherboard is struggling to keep up with the I/O requirements of compiling.
11 Remeber that compiling is non-trivial work for *any* system.
12
13 Also check that your kernel is making full use of any features available on
14 you system such as SMP or Hyperthreading etc. As a point of comparison, I'm
15 running a P4 2.6 on an IS7 motherboard with SATA disks, and only under the
16 heaviest compilations, for short periods of time do I notice any slowdowns.
19 About the only thing on a farm that has an easy time is the dog.
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list