From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:53:35
1 On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:55:41 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > > I goto the root console which is always open on one of my desktops
4 > > > & enter 'musb', which is a Bash alias for a 'mount' command;
5 > >
6 > > Leaving aside the implications of leaving open a root console,
7 >
8 > My scripts use pmount and pumount, which are hard-coded to only
9 > mount/unmount devices in directory /media.
10
11 It's the idea of leaving a root console open for all to access that is
12 the issue, not the commands you run in it.
13
14 > > that mounts the stick as root. That's fine for a FAT filesystem as
15 > > you can specify mount options to make it world-readable, but what
16 > > about an external drive formatted with ext? What about an external
17 > > drive with multiple partitions?
18 >
19 > pmount/pumount to the rescue. See...
20 > http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/pmount.1.html
21
22 I know about pmount, I use it myself. It mounts as the user running it,
23 which is fine from a (non-root) terminal, but udevd is running as root,
24 as are any programs it runs.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Top Oxymorons Number 40: Same difference