From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, cloos@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Helvetica fonts
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 20:49:03
1 On 03/08/2017 01:29 PM, James Cloos wrote:
2 >>>>>> "t" == thelma <thelma@×××××××××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > t> Which package contain "Helvetica" font?
5 > t> I'm using "flpsed" and apparently it is using Helvetica font, which
6 > t> "eselect fontconfig list" is not showing anything that resemble "helvet"
7 > t> "eix helvet" is not showing anything either.
8 >
9 > t> The fonts in "flpsed" display are very rugged/pixelated, it is hard to
10 > t> look at them.
11 >
12 > I read a number of posts in this thread; few had anything useful to say...
13 >
14 > First of all, FL_HELVETICA is a #define from fltk.
15 >
16 > Cf http://www.fltk.org/doc-1.1/enumerations.html
17 >
18 > So with which USE flags have you compiled fltk?
19 >
20 > If you have eix installed, eix fltk will show them.
21 >
22 > You probably want the xft and/or cairo flags enabled.
23 >
24 > If you have xft, fltk will use fontconfig and client-side fonts.
25 >
26 > And then running:
27 >
28 > :; fc-match helvetica
29 >
30 > will show you which font fontconfig will use when asked for helvetica.
31 >
32 > Also, try this:
33 >
34 > :; XFT_DEBUG=1 flpsed
35 >
36 > If fltk uses xft, then that will show you which fonts it selected.
37 >
38 > If nothing prints than fltk is compiled to use server-side fonts.
39 > Which you probably prefer to avoid.
40 >
41 > -JimC
42
43 Thank you Jim for the input.
44
45 Yes, fltk is compiled with: cairo xfl
46 eix fltk
47 Installed versions: 1.3.3-r3(1)(01:43:37 PM 03/07/2017)(cairo opengl threads xft xinerama -debug -doc -examples -games -static-libs)
48
49 fc-match helvetica
50 Helvetica.pfa: "Helvetica" "Regular"
51
52 XFT_DEBUG=1 flpsed invoice_5566.pdf
53 XFT_DEBUG=1
54 XftFontInfoFill: /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf: 0 (14 pixels)
55
56 So I have Helvetica but flpsed is using DejaVuSans.ttf, question is why?
59 Regards
60 Thelma