From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:07:08
1 On Wednesday 13 Jul 2011 08:13:27 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 07/10/2011 02:21 AM, Grant wrote:
3 > > When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
4 > > fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers. xf86-video-nouveau didn't
5 > > have the same problem. Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
6 > > unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati. I tried to
7 > > enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
8 > > would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.
9 >
10 > It should work. But you need firmware that is not included in the
11 > kernel. You need to install the x11-drivers/radeon-ucode package, and
12 > then build a kernel that includes the appropriate firmware. Which
13 > firmware file (one of the *.bin files in /lib/firmware/radeon) is needed
14 > should be printed during boot; at the moment the kernel hangs, it should
15 > print which firmware file it was trying to load.
16 >
17 > On my HD4870, I configured it like so:
18 >
19 > In "Device Drivers -> Generic Driver Options", I've set:
20 >
21 > (radeon/R700_rlc.bin) External firmware blobs to build into the kernel
22 > binary
23 > (/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
24 >
25 > Then rebuild and install the kernel. Before you reboot, make sure you
26 > have built media-libs/mesa with the "gallium" USE flag set, and do an
27 > "eselect mesa set r600 gallium". Make sure you don't have disabled KMS
28 > in the kernel command line or module options ("radeon.modeset=0"
29 > disables KMS). After you reboot, you should have KMS + Gallium3D working.
30
31 I think the OP's card needs R600_rcl.bin as I've suggested in a previous
32 message.
33
34 Is the gallium stable now? I found it was locking up a kde desktop with
35 effects enabled and set it back to classic.
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick