From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:09:56
1 On 07/10/2011 02:21 AM, Grant wrote:
2 > When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
3 > fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers. xf86-video-nouveau didn't
4 > have the same problem. Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
5 > unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati. I tried to
6 > enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
7 > would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.
8
9 It should work. But you need firmware that is not included in the
10 kernel. You need to install the x11-drivers/radeon-ucode package, and
11 then build a kernel that includes the appropriate firmware. Which
12 firmware file (one of the *.bin files in /lib/firmware/radeon) is needed
13 should be printed during boot; at the moment the kernel hangs, it should
14 print which firmware file it was trying to load.
15
16 On my HD4870, I configured it like so:
17
18 In "Device Drivers -> Generic Driver Options", I've set:
19
20 (radeon/R700_rlc.bin) External firmware blobs to build into the kernel
21 binary
22 (/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
23
24 Then rebuild and install the kernel. Before you reboot, make sure you
25 have built media-libs/mesa with the "gallium" USE flag set, and do an
26 "eselect mesa set r600 gallium". Make sure you don't have disabled KMS
27 in the kernel command line or module options ("radeon.modeset=0"
28 disables KMS). After you reboot, you should have KMS + Gallium3D working.