From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:10:39
1 >> When I was using an Nvidia video card, I noticed a strange sort of
2 >> fuzzy edge effect if I used nvidia-drivers.  xf86-video-nouveau didn't
3 >> have the same problem.  Now I've switched to an ATI video card and
4 >> unfortunately I have the same problem with xf86-video-ati.  I tried to
5 >> enable the new modesetting radeon driver in the kernel to see if that
6 >> would help but it doesn't work with my HD4250 card yet.
7 >
8 > It should work.  But you need firmware that is not included in the kernel.
9 >  You need to install the x11-drivers/radeon-ucode package, and then build a
10 > kernel that includes the appropriate firmware.  Which firmware file (one of
11 > the *.bin files in /lib/firmware/radeon) is needed should be printed during
12 > boot; at the moment the kernel hangs, it should print which firmware file it
13 > was trying to load.
14 >
15 > On my HD4870, I configured it like so:
16 >
17 > In "Device Drivers -> Generic Driver Options", I've set:
18 >
19 > (radeon/R700_rlc.bin) External firmware blobs to build into the kernel
20 > binary
21 > (/lib/firmware) Firmware blobs root directory
22
23 You're right. That fixed the stall during kernel load and now KMS works fine.
24
25 > Then rebuild and install the kernel.  Before you reboot, make sure you have
26 > built media-libs/mesa with the "gallium" USE flag set, and do an "eselect
27 > mesa set r600 gallium".  Make sure you don't have disabled KMS in the kernel
28 > command line or module options ("radeon.modeset=0" disables KMS).  After you
29 > reboot, you should have KMS + Gallium3D working.
30
31 I've eselected to gallium but is there any benefit if I don't use 3D at all?
32
33 - Grant