From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual servers/services: which one?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:32:22
1 On Tuesday 14 November 2006 21:08, Jarry wrote:
2 > Brian Davis wrote:
3 > > What are these buying the OP over chroot for what he wants to do?
4 >
5 > Sometimes chrooting is not so easy. I tried it for
6 > apache + mysql + php + some cgi-scripts, and it did not work.
7 > I have spent over month with it, and still a lot of things
8 > were broken, libraries/links missing, etc.
9
10 I feel your pain :-)
11
12 Make life easy for yourself, and do what I'm doing to get a proprietary
13 app running on glibc-2.5 that was linked against glibc-2.3:
14
15 create a full blown chroot with it's own portage tree. I'm adapting the
16 32 bit chroot on AMD64 howto to my needs (and keeping an eye on the
17 stage 3 install handbook as well). You do this:
18
19 mount -o bind the various bogo file systems as per the AMD64 howto, and
20 extract a stage 3 tarball into it. Select a minimal profile like
21 default-linux/x86/2006.1/server, mask any packages you know you need to
22 lock to certain versions and 'emerge apache mysql php'. Let portage
23 figure out the libs and stuff, you have better things to do with your
24 time.
25
26 True, you do end up with 300M more disk space consumed than you would
27 like, but weigh that up against the cost of a month of struggling and
28 it's a no-brainer.
29
30 It turns out to be a lot easier than one would think. I'm almost done
31 and it's taken me about three hours. I reckon anyone who knows portage
32 well enough to keep a ~arch gentoo box up for three months should
33 breeze through it
34
35 alan
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list