From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:13:53
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:48:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> OK. I downloaded Kdar so far. It was smaller and I'm on dial-up. Does
6 >> these programs preserve file permissions?
9 > Yes, because the files are stored in an archive file, not directly on the
10 > CD. dar can split the archives into CD (or DVD) sized chunks and kdar can
11 > (AFAIR) write them to disc. dar also creates an index of what's in which
12 > file and writes this to the first and last backup files.
16 May need a little more info on this archive part. If I use this to back
17 up my whole system and then lets say the hard drive fails completely. I
18 can just untar or unzip to restore the system right? I have some data
19 to back up but I may use this to do a system back-up too.
20
21 While I am at it, if I do a system back up, do I need to worry about
22 backing up /proc and /sys? From my understanding the kernel generates
23 these when it boots up. Just curious about what I really need to back
24 up. Oh, what about /dev too. I use udev and have the tarball set to no.
25
26 Thanks
27
28 Dale