From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:21:25
1 On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:07:50 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Yes, because the files are stored in an archive file, not directly on
4 > > the CD. dar can split the archives into CD (or DVD) sized chunks and
5 > > kdar can (AFAIR) write them to disc. dar also creates an index of
6 > > what's in which file and writes this to the first and last backup
7 > > files.
8
9 > May need a little more info on this archive part. If I use this to back
10 > up my whole system and then lets say the hard drive fails completely. I
11 > can just untar or unzip to restore the system right? I have some data
12 > to back up but I may use this to do a system back-up too.
13
14 dar uses its own archive format, so you'll need a live disc with the dar
15 executable to unpack them. I think there's a statically compiled version
16 of dar available that you can chuck on your backup discs.
17
18 > While I am at it, if I do a system back up, do I need to worry about
19 > backing up /proc and /sys? From my understanding the kernel generates
20 > these when it boots up. Just curious about what I really need to back
21 > up. Oh, what about /dev too. I use udev and have the tarball set to
22 > no.
23
24 All three are virtual filesystems, so you should not attempt to back them
25 up. I prefer to use the --one-filesystem option when backing up with tar,
26 dar has a similar option AFAIR.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Grow your own dope, plant a politician!