From: Pingveno <pingveno@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: NTFS resizing
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:07:07
1 abhay wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 Nov 2005 8:43 am, Pingveno wrote:
3 >> Yeah, this is the main partition. According to the web sites I have
4 >> read, there should be no problem with what I'm doing, even with this
5 >> being the boot partition.
6 >>
7 >> Here's the message I get when I run "chkdsk /f":
8 >> <output>
9 >> The type of the file system is NTFS.
10 >> Cannot lock current drive.
11 >>
12 >> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
13 >> process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
14 >> checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y
15 >>
16 >> This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.
17 >> </output>
18 >>
19 >> Yet when I restart, there is no unusual lag in the start up (which would
20 >> be necessary to scan an entire hard drive). I also continue getting the
21 >> message, upon running chkdsk without /f, that I need to do chkdsk /f.
22 >> Weird.
23 >>
24 >> -Pingveno
25 > Looks like some how dirty bit setting has been disabled on your drive which is
26 > essential for running chkdsk at boot time. Try running fsutil to query/set
27 > the dirty bit on your drive. To read more about fsutil head here
28 > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/740cb38b-66dc-41e2-9f0b-7f2816c7c2ca.mspx
29 >
30 > Abhay
31 Strange. Even when I set the dirty bit and restart, no check was done. I
32 think it's time to call up IBM. Maybe one of their wonderful
33 contraptions is stopping chkdsk at startup >_<
34
35 -Pingveno
36
37 -Pingveno