From: abhay <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: NTFS resizing
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 05:02:36
1 On Sunday 13 Nov 2005 8:43 am, Pingveno wrote:
2 > Yeah, this is the main partition. According to the web sites I have
3 > read, there should be no problem with what I'm doing, even with this
4 > being the boot partition.
5 >
6 > Here's the message I get when I run "chkdsk /f":
7 > <output>
8 > The type of the file system is NTFS.
9 > Cannot lock current drive.
10 >
11 > Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
12 > process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
13 > checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y
14 >
15 > This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.
16 > </output>
17 >
18 > Yet when I restart, there is no unusual lag in the start up (which would
19 > be necessary to scan an entire hard drive). I also continue getting the
20 > message, upon running chkdsk without /f, that I need to do chkdsk /f.
21 > Weird.
22 >
23 > -Pingveno
24 Looks like some how dirty bit setting has been disabled on your drive which is
25 essential for running chkdsk at boot time. Try running fsutil to query/set
26 the dirty bit on your drive. To read more about fsutil head here
27 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/740cb38b-66dc-41e2-9f0b-7f2816c7c2ca.mspx
28
29 Abhay