From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:13:15
1 On 16/09/2014 20:05, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 09/16/14 17:57, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >>>
5 >>> solved all the problems.
6 >>> I was at python:3.3 but for some reason or another (mostly my fault) I
7 >>> did not unmerged python:3.1
8 >>>
9 >>> When it comes to upgrading be-weekly maybe but from my experience, when
10 >>> I was doing it more often, occasionally, I ended up with a broken
11 >>> system that was caused by new
12 >>> packages.
13 >>> I have 4-boxes at home and two boxes at a remote location. So the
14 >>> boxes at home get upgraded first, I wait a week, just to make sure
15 >>> every program works and
16 >>> then I upgrade one box on a remote location, wait one week again and
17 >>> upgrade the second box (the backup) in the remote location.
18 >>> So doing it even every second week would be too often for this routine.
19 >>>
20 >>> The boxes are "rsync" to one local box.
21 >>
22 >> I am starting to wonder.
23 >> How exactly do you upgrade the other machines?
24 >> Copying the entire filesystem?
25 >
26 > I rsync one local server and all other machine are rsync to it.
29 *what* do you rsync? Not whihc machine rsyncs to what, he's asking what
30 files and directories exactly do you rsync?
33 > My main idea is trying not to introduce to many newer versions packages
34 > as in the past I've notice that that could cause the problem.
35 >
36 > The is no need for sarcasm. I basically do what works and I do learn
37 > from my experience (sometimes :-/).
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com