From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network Topology Diagrams
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 18:38:44
1 On 08/05/2011 07:48 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >> Hello one and all,
5 >>
6 >> It's been a while since I've created diagrams. I'd be curious to
7 >> learn what tools (software ebuilds) and techniques that folks
8 >> employ to:
9 >>
10 >> Graphically map an existing network topology. Create new designs
11 >> and implementation details a proposed Network Topology Design.
12 >> Create paper printable diagrams. I'm thinking about getting an 11 x
13 >> 17 color printer for the actual printed (paper) diagrams.
14 >>
15 >> It'd be nice to include (graphical colors) that shows wireless,
16 >> cat(5), fiber and POE segments in different colors, even if I have
17 >> to manually edit what a software tool cannot distinguish within
18 >> it's features.
19 >>
20 >> BISCI, RCDD, TIA, NEC and any other related standards or regulatory
21 >> (regardless of country) types of related issues and support are of
22 >> interest, but not necessary for a general response and discussion.
23 >>
24 >> Hopefully the industry has move passed creating much of these sorts
25 >> of materials, uniquely by hand, using Autocad?
26 >>
27 >> All comments and suggestions are welcome. Templates are most
28 >> welcome!
29 >
30 > To my knowledge, Dia is the most common Linux answer to Microsoft
31 > Visio, and sounds somewhat close to what you're looking for.
32 >
33 > I'd *love* to see a tool that sniffs the network and tries to build
34 > a visible topology graph, though...
35 Zenmap - part of net-analyzer/nmap can do that for you.
36
37 It lists all hosts found. When clicked you can access their scan data.
38 You can import & export those scans in a XML format. It draws a
39 topological chart of the network. It uses only circles as icons, so it's
40 not apt for presentations, but to get a quick overview. It's handy to
41 make a thorough scan at customers and make its export accessible to your
42 colleagues in your admin-firm.
43
44 Greetings,
45 Daniel
48 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
49 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887