From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network Topology Diagrams
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 17:49:18
1 On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello one and all,
3 >
4 > It's been a while since I've created diagrams.
5 > I'd be curious to learn what tools (software
6 > ebuilds) and techniques that folks employ to:
7 >
8 > Graphically map an existing network topology.
9 > Create new designs and implementation details
10 > a  proposed Network Topology Design.
11 > Create paper printable diagrams. I'm thinking
12 > about getting an 11 x 17 color printer for
13 > the actual printed (paper) diagrams.
14 >
15 > It'd be nice  to include (graphical colors)
16 > that shows wireless, cat(5),  fiber and
17 > POE segments in different colors, even if
18 > I have to manually edit what a software
19 > tool cannot distinguish within it's features.
20 >
21 > BISCI, RCDD, TIA, NEC and any other related
22 > standards or regulatory (regardless of country)
23 > types of related issues and support
24 > are of interest, but not necessary for a
25 > general response and discussion.
26 >
27 > Hopefully the industry has move passed creating
28 > much of these sorts of materials, uniquely by hand,
29 > using Autocad?
30 >
31 > All comments and suggestions are welcome.
32 > Templates are most welcome!
33
34 To my knowledge, Dia is the most common Linux answer to Microsoft
35 Visio, and sounds somewhat close to what you're looking for.
36
37 I'd *love* to see a tool that sniffs the network and tries to build a
38 visible topology graph, though...
42 :wq