From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to turn off the screen permanently
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:25:19
1 Marcin Zwd schrieb:
2 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Vladimir Rusinov
3 > <vladimir@×××××××××.info> wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Marcin Zwd <marcinzwd@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Well, I've just upgraded my laptop. The old one has ati
6 >>> radeon r250 graphics card. On this card I can easily turn
7 >>> off the screen using nice program "radeantool" of course
8 >>> "xset dpms force off" worked as well. And "turn off" was
9 >>> permanent. It is worth to mention that I was using
10 >>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati opensource drivers... On the
11 >>> other hand, the new laptop has nvidia (quadro 135) aboard
12 >>> and now I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82.
13 >>> Everything works fine except one tiny problem now if I turn
14 >>> off the screen and backlight after a few seconds the
15 >>> backlight is back on!
16 >> Try following:
17 >> sleep 1 && xset dpms force off
20 > Thanks, I tried that before as well. Besides the screen is turning off, however
21 > just for a few seconds. My guess is that probably gnome or some other
22 > apps is turning the screen back on.
23 >
24 > So, it seems that only I have this kind of problem :(
25 >
26 > Marcin
29 No, I have this problem, too. When I use 'xset dpms force off' for the
30 first few times, it works (screen stays off). After that, it always
31 turns back on.
32
33 It also didn't go away when I switched from XFCE to GNOME.
34
35 The problem has been there since I bought my notebook 1.5 years ago. I
36 just live with it.