From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] after major upgrade questions remain
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:31:57
1 Not sure if anyone responded to this yet, so with the fear of being redundant
2 here it goes:
3
4 On Tuesday 10 April 2007 20:05, maxim wexler wrote:
5 > Hi group,
6 >
7 > I did an emerge -uD world on a box with the 2.6.12
8 > kernel on it via the 2005.1 livecd.
9 >
10 > 1)From the logs or perhaps an online doc I read that I
11 > must "manage a static /dev or ensure udev starts on
12 > boot. But how? There's no udev in init.d or conf.d.
13
14 emerge -upDv sys-fs/udev
15
16 > 2)The emerge process terminated with the message "
17 > 'slocate' renamed 'locate'." and to run
18 >
19 > #groupmod -n locate slocate.
20 >
21 > Which I did and was able to resume the process. Now in
22 > the new system both man locate and man slocate go to
23 > the same file, slocate(1). So what was that all about?
24 > It seemed important enough to shut the whole process
25 > down.
26
27 Hmm, I must have missed it out on my system (but it still works with the group
28 named locate).
29
30 > 3)Another message state with regard to glibc "upgrade
31 > /etc/locales.build to /etc/local.gen then run
32 > /etc/locals.build". Words to that effect. How the heck
33 > do I do that?
34
35 Copy the contents of one to the other and then run # locale-gen.
36 My /etc/locale.gen shows:
37 =========================================
38 # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
39 #
40 # The format of each line:
41 # <locale> <charmap>
42 #
43 # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
44 # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
45 #
46 # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
47 #
48 # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
49 # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
50 #
51 # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
52 # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`
53 # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
54
55 en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
56 en_GB ISO-8859-1
57 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8