From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:41:20
1 Patrick Börjesson wrote:
2
3 >>Oh, and despite what Patrick said, I think you were right to post here
4 >>first-- no need to clog up b.g.o with what might be a configuration
5 >>problem and waste developer's time closing an invalid bug.
9 >I really don't see how this could be a configuration problem, since it
10 >would have complained about an erroneous compilation flag if it was the
11 >k8 thing that was at fault... And missing files (which the compilation
12 >error points at) sounds pretty much like a valid bug to me...
17 Errors building packages are *frequently* configuration problems.
18 Anybody who has followed this list for at least a month knows that.
19
20 Thus, this is a perfectly valid forum to get feedback on an issue before
21 filing a new bug report on b.g.o. Bug reports that are not really bugs
22 just waste valuable developer time.
23
24 That said, I do agree that this looks like an AMD64 specific bug.
27 >>I think it's always wise to try to make sure that it really is a bug
28 >>before posting it.
32 >Of course, but looking at the ordinary response from developers to these
33 >kind of emails, I'd guess that b.g.o is where they want the report, not
34 >here...
38 "Here" being gentoo-user, there are not a lot of developer responses
39 here. On gentoo-dev, you are correct, the standard response is "file on
40 b.g.o." But I still maintain that it is better to ask here (or on the
41 forums, or on #gentoo) first.
42
43 >>And it seems to me that if there is a bug, it might be a *documentation*
44 >>bug (because the other person who mentioned using march=k8 said that
45 >>that was the recommendation of the docs, but that seems to no longer be
46 >>the case, if people using this flag are regularly receiving compilation
47 >>errors).
51 >Documentation bug? Not recommended by the docs any more?
52 >You might want to actually try to find information about the subjects
53 >you respond to.
54 >
55 >Straight out of the AMD64 Gentoo Handbook:
56 >"AMD64 users who want to use a native 64 bit system should use
57 >-march=k8"
58 >Combining that cite with the information from the gcc info page, I'm
59 >pretty sure it's not a "documentation bug".
64 Hold on...the -march thing would be an easy mistake to make for those of
65 us who don't run AMD processors, and are just trying to help. Afterall,
66 the platform keyword is "amd64". And gcc info says that k8, opteron,
67 athlon64, and athlon-fx are all equivalent, although I would suggest
68 that the non-k8 options are more descriptive.
69
70 -Richard
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list