From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:58:23
1 On 05/07/23 14:50, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Jules Colding schreef:
3 > > "emerge --sync && emerge -vauDN" today gave me the following error.
4 > >
5 [snip]
6 >
7 > Well, since I just (literally, 10 minutes ago) emerged
8 > mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2, and had no problems on a 32-bit system, I must
9 > suspect that this is a 64-bit issue.
10 >
11 > In that regard, I see at least one thing in your emerge info that has
12 > been called into question for 64-bit users in recent threads:
13 >
14 > CFLAGS="-march=k8
15 >
16 > I am, of course, not a 64-bit user, so I don't know anything about this,
17 > but I have seen several responses to similar questions that suggest that
18 > the correct flag is
19 >
20 > march=amd64
21
22 Looking at gcc's info page, there is no amd64 target. The only ones I
23 can find that seems reasonable are k8 and athlon64. I use k8 myself and
24 haven't had _any_ problems with it.
25
26 > Oh, and despite what Patrick said, I think you were right to post here
27 > first-- no need to clog up b.g.o with what might be a configuration
28 > problem and waste developer's time closing an invalid bug.
29
30 I really don't see how this could be a configuration problem, since it
31 would have complained about an erroneous compilation flag if it was the
32 k8 thing that was at fault... And missing files (which the compilation
33 error points at) sounds pretty much like a valid bug to me...
34
35 > I think it's always wise to try to make sure that it really is a bug
36 > before posting it.
37
38 Of course, but looking at the ordinary response from developers to these
39 kind of emails, I'd guess that b.g.o is where they want the report, not
40 here...
41
42 > And it seems to me that if there is a bug, it might be a *documentation*
43 > bug (because the other person who mentioned using march=k8 said that
44 > that was the recommendation of the docs, but that seems to no longer be
45 > the case, if people using this flag are regularly receiving compilation
46 > errors).
47
48 Documentation bug? Not recommended by the docs any more?
49 You might want to actually try to find information about the subjects
50 you respond to.
51
52 Straight out of the AMD64 Gentoo Handbook:
53 "AMD64 users who want to use a native 64 bit system should use
54 -march=k8"
55 Combining that cite with the information from the gcc info page, I'm
56 pretty sure it's not a "documentation bug".
59 Regards,
60 Patrick Börjesson
61
62 PGP signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21792A5D
63 PGP fingerprint: 74AF D4EF 6BDE CF77 16BE 6A29 CDB8 7607 2179 2A5D