From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Fwd: Frozen Video]
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:37:57
1 On 11/5/2005 9:12 PM Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:15:37 -0800
4 >Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
8 >>I have a box running kernel version 2.6.13-r5, and MythTV 0.18.2 built
9 >>from portage. I'm using a video card with the nvidia nv18 chipset
10 >>(6600?). I also have a custom xorg modeline for my widescreen HDTV. My
11 >>video card is connected via a VGA to component converter. The screen
12 >>looks good and regular desktop mode works fine. The mouse moves. MythTV
13 >>menus are displayed and the cursor moves around
14 >>when I hit the arrow keys.
15 >>
16 >>The problem is when I switch to a video mode. The video freezes at the
17 >>first frame. The audio continues and plays just fine. The freezing
18 >>problem occurs whether I'm viewing LiveTV, previously recorded shows,
19 >>and even video files via MythVideo (uses mplayer). All of this used to
20 >>work until I upgraded hardware and rebuilt my system.
21 >>
22 >>I have no idea what the cause might be or where to start looking. Any ideas?
23 >>
24 >>Drew
28 >try running mplayer from the command line and see what error messages
29 >are given.
30 >
31 >also look in the standard places like dmesg and /var/log/Xorg*.log.
32 >
33 >You can also run mythfrontend from the command line with verbose
34 >logging.
38 Thanks for your reply. mplayer did not indicate any errors, nor did
39 dmesg. I didn't think to look in Xorg.log before I fixed the problem.
40
41 In upgrading my system to use a component to VGA converter, I copied a
42 xorg.conf file I found on the web as a starting point. One of the
43 modules it loaded was "fbdevhw" which I have no idea what it does.
44 Judging by the name, I guess "frame buffer" from "fb" and "development"
45 from "dev"? I could not find any info on Google about what modules are
46 included for X and what they do. But this module just seemed like it
47 might be interfering and it wasn't included in my old xorg.conf so I
48 commented it out and restarted X. Now the video works fine.
49
50 I'd appreciate any link that describes X modules so I could learn more
51 about them.
52
53 Cheers,
54
55 Drew
58 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
59 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
60
61 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list