From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Per package /bin/sh selection
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 18:59:33
1 On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:17 PM Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Wikipedia says that dash is a fork of NetBSD's ash, and I do see tests
7 > > in their CVS repo. That might be worth looking into.
8 > >
9 > > http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/tests/bin/sh/
10 >
11 > I see this is the variant from Rihard Elz, so it may make sense.
12 > The original ash is too buggy as a reference.
13 >
14 > > > When ever I change something in bosh, I run the unit tests to verify that I did
15 > > > not introduce a bug. One of the unit tests is to run a configure and compare
16 > > > the results with the results frm a reference shell.
17 > > >
18 > > > BTW: Did you ever think about replacing dash by bosh?
19 > >
20 > > We use bash as the default /bin/sh, but users are free to replace it
21 > > with whatever shell they like, so long as it is reasonably
22 > > POSIX-compliant. Other shells are obviously less tested in Gentoo.
23 >
24 > Well, bosh has been tested to work as /bin/sh on Gentoo.
25 > BTW: On Solaris, bosh is faster than dash (because Solaris has a fully working
26 > vfork()). On Linux bosh is "only" of the same speed as dash since vfork() on
27 > Linux does not borrow the parents address space description but copies it.
28
29 Is that also true of clone(CLONE_VM|CLONE_VFORK)? Recent versions of
30 glibc use this to implement the posix_spawn() function.