From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Per package /bin/sh selection
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 17:17:54
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Wikipedia says that dash is a fork of NetBSD's ash, and I do see tests
4 > in their CVS repo. That might be worth looking into.
5 >
6 > http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/tests/bin/sh/
7
8 I see this is the variant from Rihard Elz, so it may make sense.
9 The original ash is too buggy as a reference.
10
11 > > When ever I change something in bosh, I run the unit tests to verify that I did
12 > > not introduce a bug. One of the unit tests is to run a configure and compare
13 > > the results with the results frm a reference shell.
14 > >
15 > > BTW: Did you ever think about replacing dash by bosh?
16 >
17 > We use bash as the default /bin/sh, but users are free to replace it
18 > with whatever shell they like, so long as it is reasonably
19 > POSIX-compliant. Other shells are obviously less tested in Gentoo.
20
21 Well, bosh has been tested to work as /bin/sh on Gentoo.
22 BTW: On Solaris, bosh is faster than dash (because Solaris has a fully working
23 vfork()). On Linux bosh is "only" of the same speed as dash since vfork() on
24 Linux does not borrow the parents address space description but copies it.
25
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
30 joerg.schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/