From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:02:44
1 On 2016-09-25, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 00:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I may try MATE next, but I'm not optimistic. All references I can
5 >> find to multiple screens in the MATE docs are not actually talking
6 >> about multiple X11 screens. They're talking about a single X11 screen
7 >> spread across multiple monitors using twinview or xinerama or xrandr.
8 >
9 > I'm curious. What is it you are doing that needs desktops on separate X11
10 > screens?
11
12 I do software development that often involves fairly complex test
13 setups where I sometimes need 1 screen for source code, 1 screen for
14 documentation, 1 screen for various simulators or test programs, 1
15 screen for a web browser connected to the DUT, and another screen for
16 general web-browsing and email handling.
17
18 And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
19 while I switch the third one to do something else.
20
21 > The results of your searches and experiments seem to suggest that it
22 > is n unusual configuration
23
24 It is, though I don't know why -- I find it far more useful than have
25 one giant desktop.
26
27 > and I'm wondering what particular itch this scratches.
28
29 It allows me to work efficiently on complex tasks while concurrently
30 responding to emails and handling interruptions.
33 Grant