From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 20:54:13
1 On 25/09/2016 16:02, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-09-25, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 00:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I may try MATE next, but I'm not optimistic. All references I can
6 >>> find to multiple screens in the MATE docs are not actually talking
7 >>> about multiple X11 screens. They're talking about a single X11 screen
8 >>> spread across multiple monitors using twinview or xinerama or xrandr.
9 >>
10 >> I'm curious. What is it you are doing that needs desktops on separate X11
11 >> screens?
12 >
13 > I do software development that often involves fairly complex test
14 > setups where I sometimes need 1 screen for source code, 1 screen for
15 > documentation, 1 screen for various simulators or test programs, 1
16 > screen for a web browser connected to the DUT, and another screen for
17 > general web-browsing and email handling.
18 >
19 > And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
20 > while I switch the third one to do something else.
21 >
22 >> The results of your searches and experiments seem to suggest that it
23 >> is n unusual configuration
24 >
25 > It is, though I don't know why -- I find it far more useful than have
26 > one giant desktop.
27 >
28 >> and I'm wondering what particular itch this scratches.
29 >
30 > It allows me to work efficiently on complex tasks while concurrently
31 > responding to emails and handling interruptions.
32
33 I do something with a sort-of similar result. One big desktop across all
34 screens with at least 6 virtual desktop. Stuff I need always there (like
35 mail and IM clients) go off to one side on the small monitor, pinned to
36 all virtual desktops. None of the other real work stuff goes on the
37 small monitor.
38
39 This won't suit Grant though, as he said his nVidia card can't big
40 desktop across 3 physical 1600 monitors
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com