From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install help
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:49:49
1 On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 01:11 +0530, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
2 > Bob Bao wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi.
5 > >
6 > > I am a new gentoo user here. I downloaded gentoo 2.6 liveCD from gentoo
7 > > website. After couple time trying, finally I successfully complete the
8 > > installing. But, after log in, I only get a xterm window and a session
9 > > window. I think suppose I should get a graphic user interface like boot
12 > Hi Bob and welcome to Gentoo,
13 > Which graphic desktop you have installed? If its plain X server
14 > (i.e., xorg-x11) then you'll get a very basic desktop, which you
15 > obviously dont want. If you installed kde, then probaby you've not
16 > modified your .xinitrc file. Execute this command from from console,
17 >
18 > echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
19 >
20 > next time you execute 'startx', kde will startup.
21 >
22 > for GNOME, execute this command first
23 >
24 > echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
25 >
26 > then startx will bring gnome up.
27
28 I think the more "offical" way is to uncomment the following lines
29 in /etc/rc.conf:
30
31 DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
32 XSESSION="Gnome"