From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install help
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:58:02
1 >> echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
2 >>
3 >> next time you execute 'startx', kde will startup.
4 >>
5 >> for GNOME, execute this command first
6 >>
7 >> echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
8 >>
9 >> then startx will bring gnome up.
10 >
11 > I think the more "offical" way is to uncomment the following lines
12 > in /etc/rc.conf:
13 >
14 > DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
15 > XSESSION="Gnome"
18 I would disagree. This is how you boot into x. not necessarily how you run
19 x. I personally prefer the first way to this.... I boot to the command line
20 and then run x if I feel like it. My point is the "official" in the above
21 is misleading.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list