From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partition sizes and home directories
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:19:42
1 sean wrote:
2
3 > I know this can be a tough call on how to partition a drive, but I am
4 > looking for some input.
5 >
6 > My system will be used as for my own personal use, no server for
7 > outside, though I may run a web server for private in home use, some
8 > games, whatever I wish to play and experiment.
9 >
10 > Users, mainly just me, and perhaps a family member or three.
11 > Here is what I quickly setup.
12 >
13 > $ df -h
14 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
15 > /dev/hda3 471M 271M 176M 61% /
16 > udev 1004M 208K 1004M 1% /dev
17 > /dev/hda1 38M 2.6M 34M 8% /boot
18 > /dev/hda5 4.6G 185M 4.2G 5% /var
19 > /dev/hda6 31G 2.3G 27G 8% /usr
20 > shm 1004M 0 1004M 0% /dev/shm
23 Here is my filesystem setup, that has been working pretty well (the
24 device names are because I use LVM):
25
26 carcharias rjf # df -h
27 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
28 /dev/mapper/sys-root 4.9G 2.3G 2.4G 50% /
29 /dev/hda1 99M 17M 78M 18% /boot
30 /dev/mapper/sys-tmp 2.0G 67M 1.8G 4% /tmp
31 /dev/mapper/sys-var 4.9G 576M 4.1G 13% /var
32 /dev/mapper/sys-home 59G 34G 22G 61% /home
33 /dev/mapper/sys-opt 2.0G 380M 1.5G 21% /opt
34 /dev/mapper/sys-local
35 992M 166M 776M 18% /usr/local
36 /dev/mapper/sys-portage
37 992M 563M 379M 60% /usr/portage
38 /dev/mapper/sys-distfiles
39 3.9G 2.4G 1.4G 64% /usr/portage/distfiles
40 /dev/mapper/sys-packages
41 4.0G 129M 3.6G 4% /usr/portage/packages
42 /dev/mapper/sys-share
43 3.9G 1.4G 2.4G 37% /usr/share
44 /dev/mapper/sys-src 2.0G 823M 1.1G 44% /usr/src
47 > What caught me off guard was that fact that /home is located under /
48 > and that is where my user profiles are being set, instead of /usr/home
49 > like it is on my freebsd system.
50 > When I copied over my personal files, it quickly filled up the /
51 > partition, which I have since deleted.
52 > Now I noticed that there is a /usr/home, what exactly is that used
53 > for, since users are not there by default?
56 No /usr/home on my system. My guess is that it is an artifact from your
57 FreeBSD system.
60 > I would figure /boot does not really change much in size, leave as is,
61 > maybe shrink a few mb.
62 > /var, up and down, perhaps bring it down a gig, gig and a half.
65 PORTAGE_TMPDIR defaults to /var/tmp, which means any builds will occur
66 in /var. Beware that some builds require a large amount of disk space
67 to complete. For example, building OpenOffice 2.0 on my system consumed
68 something like 3G of tmp space. So if you shrink it, you should
69 consider changing PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /etc/make.conf, or there may be
70 times where you have to run "PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/path/to/more/space emerge
71 <big package>"
72
73 > Now I just have to figure what I want /home to be, or perhaps could
74 > the default setup for users be located in /usr/home?
75 > Would this cause problems?
76 > Is it non standard?
79 Yes, it is non-standard, but still possible. You just have to specify
80 the home directory to adduser with the -b option.
81
82 In any case, I highly recommend checking out LVM, and leave some space
83 available on your disk(s), as it will allow you to easily grow things
84 later if you run out of space somewhere.
85
86 Cheers,
87 -Richard
90 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list