From: sean <rsh.lists@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] partition sizes and home directories
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:50:19
1 I know this can be a tough call on how to partition a drive, but I am
2 looking for some input.
3
4 My system will be used as for my own personal use, no server for
5 outside, though I may run a web server for private in home use, some
6 games, whatever I wish to play and experiment.
7
8 Users, mainly just me, and perhaps a family member or three.
9 Here is what I quickly setup.
10
11 $ df -h
12 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
13 /dev/hda3 471M 271M 176M 61% /
14 udev 1004M 208K 1004M 1% /dev
15 /dev/hda1 38M 2.6M 34M 8% /boot
16 /dev/hda5 4.6G 185M 4.2G 5% /var
17 /dev/hda6 31G 2.3G 27G 8% /usr
18 shm 1004M 0 1004M 0% /dev/shm
19
20 What caught me off guard was that fact that /home is located under / and
21 that is where my user profiles are being set, instead of /usr/home like
22 it is on my freebsd system.
23 When I copied over my personal files, it quickly filled up the /
24 partition, which I have since deleted.
25 Now I noticed that there is a /usr/home, what exactly is that used for,
26 since users are not there by default?
27
28 I would figure /boot does not really change much in size, leave as is,
29 maybe shrink a few mb.
30 /var, up and down, perhaps bring it down a gig, gig and a half.
31 /usr, would grow depending on software installs, much as possible. I
32 have not installed much currently.
33 If /home was on its own, I am guessing that the current / allocation
34 would be fine?
35 Anyone confirm?
36 Now I just have to figure what I want /home to be, or perhaps could the
37 default setup for users be located in /usr/home?
38 Would this cause problems?
39 Is it non standard?
40
41 Thanks